When it comes to your website, it’s important to find a balance between creativity and functionality. It’s easy to overcomplicate by including too much information or not having a clear customer journey – what they need to know, think, and do. Ensure your website is serving your business and its visitors with these simple tips.
- Use clear navigation labels. We love creativity as much as the next person, but we recommend keeping it simple when naming your pages. Clearly label the pages so people can easily find what they’re looking for; think services, pricing, availability, or contact information.
- Have a simple menu. Keep your primary menu as simple as possible; too many dropdowns and sub-menu items can feel overwhelming for your customer and cause them to exit before finding what they’re looking for.
- Use intentional typography. Keep brand typography easy to read and spaced appropriately.
- Leverage the footer. Use the footer to include additional pages that may not be worth including in your primary menu; items that some individuals may want but aren’t as high in traffic, for example, careers, terms of service, etc.
- Remember the 2-minute rule. The goal is for someone to spend just 2 minutes on a website. Keeping it clean and straightforward makes sure they find what they need.
Whether you’re an e-commerce business or selling a service, eliminating unnecessary complexity will help you as you design and build out your website successfully.